Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Week 14 Reading Diary: European Unit

This weeks reading diary is still a part of the European reading units.  I decided to look at the Brothers Grimm section.  I went with the stories from Librivox, which is one of the four different versions on the Grimm tales.

Reading A

1. The Frog Prince
-I really enjoy this story.  I believe that it sets a good examples for little girls who read this.  I liked how the King made his daughter keep her words.  Teaching his daughter this lesson helps teaches those who read this story how important it is to keep our word.

2. Rapunzel
-The beginning of the story was a little diffrent than I thought it would be.  I didn't realize that is how Rapunzel came to be the daughter of a women who keeps her locked away in the forest.  The end of the story I was very familiar with.  Rapunzel lets down her hair and the prince climbs up.

3. The Straw, the Coal, and the Bean
-This is an interesting little story I never read.  I love how all of these objects come to life.  I also really like how they all try to help each other, even though it ends badly for all three of them.

4. The Mouse, the Bird, and the Sausage
-My first thought about this story is that it is kinda strange/funny that a sausage is apart of this partnership. This story has a good lesson about remembering to be level headed and not get too big of a head about yourself just because you have a lot already.

5. The Traveling Musicians
-Interesting twist to this story.  You would think that these traveling musicians were people.  But really they are old worn down animals that their masters didn't want then anymore. There was an ass, a dog, a cat, and a cock.

6. Clever Elsie
-I think that it is sad that Hans wouldn't have Clever Elsie unless she was smart.

7. Briar Rose
-This is my all time favorite fairy tale.  I hate that they have to leave out one fairy for dinner in this story.  Like reallllly you didn't have any more plates in your castle for the last fairy to eat on?? Of course this fairy is mad and this why she puts the curse on Briar Rose.  Of course a prince comes and saves the princess, and they live happily ever after.


No comments:

Post a Comment